As a game fanatic, I found it difficult to play my usual favorites after having my daughter. I needed to find games I can enjoy playing with a limited amount of time, and that don’t require a major amount of commitment. I have two favorites right now to share with you.
Overwatch is a first person shooter created by Blizzard. It has been compared with TF2 (which I have never played.) There are 4 different classes of heroes:offensive, defensive, tank and support. With a total of 23 characters, each character has unique abilities and compelling story line. There’s a good chance that you can find a character any gamer would love to play and connect with. There are snipers, healers, builders, soldiers, and many more.
Personally, I have never been a big fan of first person shooters. They have never been something I enjoy very much, and I don’t like traditional “war shooter” games where you are a soldier killing other soldiers. Overwatch is different than other FPS games I have played in the past due to most of the characters being spell driven versus point and shoot only.
- In Quick Match and Arcade modes there are no penalties if you have to leave a game early
- Competitive games are around 15-30 minutes total and have a break in between each round. There is time in between if you need to go give your LO cuddles or a bottle.
- If you are going to play competitively, it’s very hard to move up in the rankings unless you have a team of friends that you can communicate with via mic.
- One teammate can pull the entire game down.
- Competitive matches, though they have a break, are semi long if you need to tend to a crying baby.
- Overwatch is not free to play.
Have you ever played Magic the Gathering? Do you like World of Warcraft? If so, Hearthstone is definitely for you. It blends the card game mechanics of Magic and nostalgic WoW characters for the perfect iPhone/iPad/PC game! Hearthstone is a very intellectual game, you have to predict what the other player is going to do, sort of like chess.
You can play a total of 9 classes – Druid, Hunter, Mage, Paladin, Priest, Rogue, Shaman, Warlock and Warrior. This game is a solo play game which is great for a person with limited time to play games. You can play on your iPhone, and is accessible anywhere you have an internet connection. There has been many a night where I am rocking my infant to sleep, or breast feeding her while playing hearthstone. Games can last anywhere from 5-15 minutes, which turns out to be almost the perfect amount of time most busy parents have to spare.. You have ~70 seconds to play your turn before the timer runs out, so if you have to set it down for a minute, you can still get a play off.
- Short game time
- Free to play
- Deck building help for new players
- Solo play: no team commitment
- There are a lot of cards you have to become familiar with in order to play competitively
- If you want a great deck fast, you will have to buy cards which costs money
- You have to buy the expansion to get the specific cards from the expansion
- If you have never played a card game like this, the learning curve is pretty steep
Those are my two go to games for the moment. If you have any game you play with limited time please let me know in the comments!